Thursday, May 28, 2009

A Man's Reach -- A Transforming Life, 7: Eleanor Anne Johnson

Portrait of Eleanor Andersen, by Edward Brewer, 1965

"I found Eleanor Anne Johnson at Grace University Lutheran Church." The pastor, C. A. Wendell, had invited Elmer to a welcoming party for new students at the church. "Early in the evening, I noticed a beautiful blonde girl in a blue polka-dot dress. I can still see her. I was just smitten…. She had a pristine, natural Scandinavian beauty. It was almost as if a vision had come true…. She was on the party committee. She was out in the kitchen, washing dishes. In a flash, I was in the kitchen, wiping dishes. That was how we met, washing and wiping dishes. I did not ask her out right away…. I learned right away that first evening that she was reserved and deliberate. I knew it was going to take me quite a while to attract her interest."

Image courtesy Elmer L. and Eleanor J. Andersen Family

No comments: