Friday, May 29, 2009

A Man's Reach -- A Transforming Life, 9: Wedding & Honeymoon

Postcard from Basin Harbor Lodge, Vergennes, Vermont, 1941.

"We set a wedding date of September 1, 1932, almost three years from the day we had met. We were only twenty-three and twenty-one when we married, yet I think we were ready. We were sure of our feelings for each other and as secure as two young people could be in the midst of terrible economic times. Eleanor decided to leave the university when we got married, and postpone the completion of her degree. That was quite a concession her part. I thought, now she has really decided that this is OK. We had better get married, before she changes her mind!"

"The day after our wedding, Eleanor and I drove to Milwaukee and took a boat to Muskegon. The next day we drove to Detroit, got on another boat to Buffalo, then drove to Basin Harbor Lodge in Vergennes, Vermont, where we stayed for one week. I had never been to that part of the country before. But we had read about it in advertisements and had chosen it well in advance. When I travel, I always like to make my arrangements ahead of time, so I know where I am going. I do not like to spend time planning a trip while traveling. I think that detracts from the enjoyment of what I am seeing and doing."

Image from eBay/Snyders Postcards

No comments: