Monday, June 1, 2009

A Man's Reach -- A Transforming Life, 11: Beginnings at H. B. Fuller

Elmer and Harvey B. Fuller, about 1937

"I loved married life, but by the summer of 1934, I was growing dissatisfied with life as a traveling salesman. I was usually on the road for a week at a time. I hated being away from Eleanor for so long, and I knew that my absences would become more difficult if we had a child. I shared this concern with the manager of the Minneapolis School Supply Company, Vic Watson. He passed along word that H. B. Fuller Company in St. Paul, a manufacturer of school paste, was looking for someone to hire in sales promotion….Not long afterward, I was driving in St. Paul…and I noticed a sign on the side of a building: H. B. Fuller Company. I thought, well, it would not hurt to go in and see if that job is still open, and see what the people look like. I was ushered right in to see owner and president Harvey B. Fuller Jr. The job was still open. We began to visit about how I might fit in at Fuller….I liked Mr. Fuller. His style, values, and general outlook on life were appealing to me. And the job he offered did not involve traveling. After a few more visits with Mr. Fuller, I accepted….On October 8, 1934, I entered the employment of H. B. Fuller Company."

Image courtesy H. B. Fuller Company

No comments: