Monday, June 29, 2009

A Man's Reach -- A Transforming Life, 26: Eleanor

Portrait of Eleanor in her St. Anthony Park Home

"A number of major decisions confronted our family in the 1940s and 1950s, as my involvement in business, politics, and the community deepened. Though Eleanor often let me take the lead, we always made big decisions together. Eleanor was not as quick to decide a question as I was. She would generally raise more questions, to be sure I was thinking through all the alternatives and possible consequences. She would caution me against entering into things too hastily, and urge me to gather all the salient facts. Her standard comment was, 'We don't have to decide that right now, do we?' But when she saw that I really wanted to do something and convinced herself that I was not going to get into trouble, she would assent. Then she became energetic in her assistance."

Image courtesy Elmer L. and Eleanor J. Andersen Family

"A Man's Reach -- A Transforming Life" is on display through August 15 in the Exhibit Gallery, Elmer L. Andersen Library, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Campus.

No comments: