Thursday, July 2, 2009

A Man's Reach -- A Transforming Life, 31: The Governor's Race, 1960

Campaign Letter and Stickers, 1960

"When I left the legislature in 1958, I truly thought I was done with elective office. Fuller needed me, and with the family, community activities, and the farm, I had enough to keep me occupied."

"Other people began to encourage me to run. I talked to some of my oldest political allies in St. Anthony Park. In fact, they may have been the ones to approach me. Ever since my election to the state senate, those friends had harbored high ambitions for me. I used to temper their eagerness by saying, 'I've got a family. I've got a business. Take it easy.'"

"At first gradually, then more speedily, influences built in favor of a run for governor. I must confess that I was receptive. Eleanor was involved in the exploration process, and she, too, looked positively on the idea. There was no great moment of decision for the two of us. That I would be a candidate just emerged in our thinking. One might say that natural forces took over. I announced my candidacy officially on January 5, 1960."

Courtesy Minnesota Historical Society

"A Man's Reach -- A Transforming Life" is on display through August 15 in the Exhibit Gallery, Elmer L. Andersen Library, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Campus.

No comments: