Thursday, July 16, 2009

A Man's Reach -- A Transforming Life, 44: Attention to the Party

Republican State Convention program, front cover, 1962

"I did not spend much time or effort working at building a stronger connection to the party or at bringing more people who supported me into party ranks. I consider that a failing on my part. I concentrated so much on getting things done as governor that I did not give enough attention to the party. I came to believe later that a governor must assume responsibility for his party, or both will suffer. In 1962, the Republican Party was divided. It was my job to encourage harmony, find areas of agreement, and attract people who agreed with me into party ranks. I did too little of those things."

Courtesy Minnesota Historical Society

"A Man's Reach -- A Transforming Life" is on display through August 15 in the Exhibit Gallery, Elmer L. Andersen Library, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Campus.

No comments: