Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A Man's Reach -- A Transforming Life, 52: Lindbergh

Charles A. Lindbergh

"Lindbergh and I became close friends quickly. Our bond was grounded in our shared belief that there should be a balance between technology and nature. His ideas about that balance were appealing to me. That first night [of our meeting], we talked about how the advantages of technology always should co-exist with the wisdom that can be found in wildness. He was eloquent on that point, and I was impressed."

"Like most Americans of my generation, I knew some of the high points of Lindbergh's life. I was well aware of his historic 1927 solo flight from New York to Paris, his marriage to Anne Morrow two years later, the kidnapping and death of their first child in 1932, and his opposition to U. S. involvement in the war in Europe in the years leading up to World War II. After meeting him, I made it a point to learn more about Lindbergh."

Courtesy Elmer L. and Eleanor J. Andersen Family

"A Man's Reach -- A Transforming Life" is on display through August 15 in the Exhibit Gallery, Elmer L. Andersen Library, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Campus.

No comments: