Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Sherlock Holmes Cult

A recording of a number of Twin Cities Sherlockians commenting on the world of Sherlock Holmes has been added to the U Media Archive. The file begins with Ronald Hubbs providing some background to the world of Holmes. This is followed by Paul Verret's account of his attendance at a dinner of the Baker Street Irregulars in New York. Austin McLean, curator of Special Collections, acts as moderator. The recording concludes with E. W. McDiarmid describing (with the assistance of slides) treasures from the Holmes Collections.

It is not certain where this event took place but a label on the tape indicates a date of April 7, 1982. Perhaps it was a joint event between the Norwegian Explorers and the University Libraries. We'll have to dig into the archives of the Explorers to see if anything turns up.

The recording is just over 58 minutes in length.

1 comment:

Saucy Siciliana said...

This reminds me of my high school days in New York. I used to devour Sherlock Holmes books, I'd read the stories over and over, my favorite was the Hound of the Baskervilles. I had a huge book with a collection of Sherlock Holmes stories. Unfortunately, with all the movings from country to country, I lost the book. I'm now getting my daughter interested in Sherlock Holmes too. Thanks for the memories and greetings from Sicily!