Monday, June 29, 2009

A Man's Reach -- A Transforming Life, 25: Views From the Publisher's Desk

Views From the Publisher's Desk. Minneapolis: Nodin Press, 1997.

"Over the years, many people mentioned enjoying the editorials and asked about the possibility of reprints. But it was my old friend Russell Fridley, former director of the Minnesota Historical Society, who impressed me with the comment, 'Elmer, there is some permanent worth in some of these editorials you're writing. I think you ought to put them into a book.' I was skeptical because I have never favored an author publishing a book at his own expense. I wondered if any established publisher would be interested in a compilation of my editorials. I found one who was willing—Norton Stillman of Nodin Press. Russell was willing to be my editor. And we had help selecting the editorials for the book from a young friend, Jaime Becker, a disabled woman with a clean, sharp mind and a beautiful attitude toward life."

"Views from the Publisher's Desk was published in 1997. It got reviews that made me blush. Dave Wood, the books editor for the Star Tribune, called it 'a book for all seasons by a man who has weathered many of them.'"

University of Minnesota Libraries, Andersen Collection

"A Man's Reach -- A Transforming Life" is on display through August 15 in the Exhibit Gallery, Elmer L. Andersen Library, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Campus.

No comments: