Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A Man's Reach -- A Transforming Life, 63: Love of Books

Elmer L. Andersen reading at his desk

"Aunt Lillian may have been the first person to inspire in me a love of books and a desire to collect them."

"Through a long life, a number of constants have grown dearer with time. Among them is the joy I find in books. I have been a book collector my entire adult life."

"The craving to own books, not just read them, did not pass with childhood. As a young traveling salesman in Minneapolis in the fall of 1928, I saved my loose change and then spent it on books. I always wanted nice books, but in those early years, I could not afford new ones. Instead, I scoured through Salvation Army or Goodwill Industries stores for high-quality secondhand books."

Courtesy Minnesota Historical Society

"A Man's Reach -- A Transforming Life" is on display through August 15 in the Exhibit Gallery, Elmer L. Andersen Library, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Campus.

No comments: