Monday, April 14, 2008

Thing 11: Tagging and Del.icio.us


Another picture from the trip to France. This from a night-time prowl around the Louvre. We were there during the transit strike so it made for some interesting times. As we wandered around, we talked to some of the museum staff, who weren't sure whether or not they'd be open in the morning, or if so, when. We just kind of went with the flow and, in the end, didn't really have too many problems. The museum pass was probably the best purchase we made. We could cruise right into a museum and not have to stand in line for tickets.

Anyway, on to tagging, etc. One of the things I've wondered about tags, from the beginning, is how messy things might get. Part of the beauty of working from an authorized list of headings, access points, etc. is that you really don't have any mystery about the process. (Although the mystery might be in finding an authorized access point in the first place). But with tags its seems like you're opening yourself up to some confusion and the inability to find the stuff that you really want to find. For example, I don't want to have to look up a person's name and all its variants. I want, in essence, one stop shopping with no surprises. So I'm nervous about tags.

At the same time, I've added tags/labels to this post and may do so for the rest of the posts from here on out. I'm not going to go back and re-tag everything I've already written. There aren't enough hours in the day, at this point, for that kind of retrospective work. I hadn't even noticed the little box at the bottom or the compose window in Blogger (or maybe just blocked it out), but now that I know its there I'll probably use it.

It seems like one of the advantages with social networking sites (like so many things in Web 2.0/Library 2.0) is the ability to work from any computer anwhere. You're not limited to your own workstation. I really like this feature because of the flexibility it gives me with my work. The idea of sharing stuff with other people seems to be another huge part of this whole world. I'm the reticent Scandinavian type, so I'm not as up to sharing things with the world as others might be, but again, I can see some advantages, especially on the collaborative or creative fronts. The downside, again, is yet another account and password. On the upside, I can see where this might provide some real creative options for the class I teach at St. Kate's and for my own research and reading. I'm starting to think how I can redesign my class using what I've been learning with the Things.

No comments: