Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Thing 21 Other Social Networks

My social network expanded a bit with some actual face time with the people I met in France. And not all of my time was spent in Paris. I went south for a few days, to Montpellier, where my son did a fall semester at the University. One evening, while strolling through the city, we came to this, the St. Clément aqueduct. We had some great days there, although the folks were complaining about the weather, which was on the cold and wet side for this sunny city in the south of France.

I mentioned earlier that I was part of the Gather community, although I haven't spent as much time there lately. One of my colleagues in the Sherlockian world was writing the occasional column there, so I was drawn to that, and I've joined a number of the book groups. Like so much else, its takes commitment to be part of a community, whether your contributing content or just part of the conversation. I have a hunch that I, like many others, will plunge back into this world as we get closer to the elections this fall.

Web Junction has been a part of my life as well. I am really interested in the educational aspects of this community, the chance to do some things like I've been doing as I've walked through these 23 Things. But, like Gather, I haven't really had the chance to carve out the time and dive in. My guess is that a lot of this kind of activity is going to have to take place out of the office, away from the regular work that just needs to get done. There are too many irons in the fire at the moment to want to pile on more, yet this course has strengthened my resolve to try and make the time for additional professional development.

Well, I joined Ning, left a comment (it seems like a few of us are scrambling to finish the Things), and posted a photograph from a skiing trip I took last Spring in Colorado. Time to try and wrap this up and call it a day.


View my page on 23 Things on a Stick

No comments: