Friday, April 4, 2008

Thing 7 Text Messaging



Before I say anything about "texting" I just have to say how much I enjoy the little pleasure of my 4 gig flash drive/memory stick. That gizmo has made life so easy in terms of portability or working on someone else's computer or a shared computer (like I'm doing right now in the Reading Room) and being able to save my own work to the drive and not clutter up the other machine. Just a nifty little device that I really like.

As for texting, I do it all the time with my kids. Its probably the easiest way to get short messages back and forth. There was one time, however, when my wife and I started a conversation that got a little 'testy' as time went on. It probably would have made more sense to just call and finish the conversation, but there was an interesting 'buffer effect' that happened as we were texting back and forth that seemed to keep the conversation from getting overheated.

One additional and very important use of text messaging has been made at our workplace. Called "TXT-U" it is a way for the University to communicate with faculty, staff, and students in the event of an emergency. This service followed after the Virginia Tech shootings and is a welcome addition in the workplace. I can see where other communications between patron and ILS would be useful, but this emergency text service provides an additional level of comfort.

No comments: